The Assembly Halls started their current life in the 1930’s, the idea of the then rector, Rev Shaw Page, who lived in the adjoining Rectory. The existing farm buildings were converted into school rooms for the Coney Hall estate which was gradually being developed. However, as the estate grew the rooms were not big enough for the children attending and, as Wickham Common School was then built, so the rooms were then envisaged as a community centre.
The Coney Hall Trust was set up to oversee the future of the Assembly Rooms. Trustees still have responsibility for the continuing operation of the centre over 80 years on. Two Trustees are appointed as representatives of the local Residents Associations and The Rector of St. John’s Church is an ex-officio Trustee. Other Trustees are co-opted to ensure a balanced operation. The Coney Hall trust is a registered charity with The Charity Commission and accounts and reports are lodged with them each year.
The Trustees appoint and oversee the four part time paid staff, currently a bookings and administration secretary (who is also clerk to the Trustees) , a caretaker/cleaner, a caretaker/handyman, and a relief caretaker.
A large number of local groups and organisations meet at the centre regularly and we also provide rooms for meetings parties etc.
We receive no outside funding, apart from a reduction in the community charge made by The London Borough of Bromley, and have to be self-financing with our income coming mainly from the rental of rooms. We strive to keep the rents as low as possible so local groups, including those such as Brownies etc., can afford to meet here.
Organisations who use our halls: